Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween: Night 1

I didn't buy one of those already made, don't have to think about it costumes for Halloween so even though we had a costume party to go to Friday night, Friday was the first time I had put all my costume pieces together and got to see the completed look. I was mostly happy with it, but it changed every time I wore it. For Friday I had on my tutus and a black tank top with shiny shoes and red ribbon tied around my leg to resemble a ballerina. The problem was the stupid ribbons kept falling down off my legs. Even though I had over an hour to get ready before K got to my house (carpooling is awesome) I still hadn't figured out a way to secure my leg ribbons and ended up tying them so tight around my legs that they were leaving marks. Not that I cared as long as they stayed up. But they still weren't.
When K got to my house she ran straight to the bedroom to change in to Minnie Mouse (costumepooling is also awesome) and we were ready to go. Funnily enough C, K and I were all wearing costumes with red and black as the main colors. Because we're awesome like that and like to color coordinate so you can tell we're a team.
We headed out to A and S's after figuring out how to buckle with a fluffy tutu.  Once we got there I handed A the last couple pieces to her costume (I'm telling you, costumepooling is the way to go!). I had to retie my legs....again and after a couple of hallway pics we took off to party in the woods.
D and S just got an awesome chunk of land way out by the moutainish in the woodsish so they hosted an awesome Halloween party. There was already a ton of people there when we got there around 8 and more and more people kept showing up. The drink station was set up in the garage area and there were snacks in the kitchen. We said hello to our friends and ogled Ws kick ass costume. He had no skin. He was wearing a full body leotard with muscles and veins drawn on by hand in the most amazing way. He looked incredible! Time to start drinking. A round of ruby slippers to start followed by jungle juice. We stayed in the house a majority of the time in the beginning because it was certainly cold outside. Plus all the snacks were inside.
We check out the whiteboard and see that Sissy Spacek and Sammy Davis Jr had already stopped by and left a note. Oh and Alf. Great American Super Hero (who is clearly drunk and whose blond curly wig does not at all match his dark beard...) decides to sign too. He grabs a marker and studies the board. "GMH. There. That's how he'd sign it on checks."
Except that GMH isn't the right acronym for Great American Super Hero. But, yea, sure. Whatever you say GMH.
 He really is the absolute BEST quote source ever but I can't keep up with him! By the time I register what he says and try to make a note he's saying something even more funny and I forget the last thing and then he's saying something else. I wish I could have stopped laughing long enough to write some of his gems down. Actually no, I don't wish that because I enjoyed the laughter.
In between the kitchen and living room is a staircase leading downstairs that has no railing. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. You can't? What if I told you K really likes jungle juice?
I don't remember exactly what K was talking to us about but she was all by herself by that dangerous staircase. She took a couple steps back and came close to the stairs. Careful friend. Before I could say anything one foot went down the stairs and in the most graceful move I've witnessed K went from standing on the right side of the stairs to sitting very lady like, legs crossed and all, on the left side all wrapped up in fake webs looking slightly confused but also very calm.
"Hey guys, that didn't happen."
Sorry K. It was too awesome not to write about.
C gets harassed by a small mexican man. He keeps calling her a hot little devil fairy.She seeks refuge inside the house just in time to see Ks graceful drunkenness. We decide to mingle in the garage to keep K away from the dangerous stairs...and get away from the now ruined web decorations.
It seems like everyone is out there. Even Jesus. We catch up with everyone. A tells us how cool we are and how much she loves us and how everyone loves us because we're so awesome. Drunk friends are totally the best for self esteem boosts.
K and I head upstairs to hang out with S where it's not so crowded and we can actually hear each other talk. Drunk K starts asking questions about life and afterlife and all sorts of things her drunk brain are dying to know about. S answers as much as she can and then decides to head back downstairs to the party. K and I get up to head down and everything is fine (though I'm worried about going down the actual stairs because there are no railings out here and  is even more drunk now) until we get to the top of the stairs and she spots a closed door. Drunk curiosity is no fun for sober people. She wants to open the door. I tell her this is someones apartment and we can't just go opening doors. She says it might be a coat closet so what's the harm? It might not be a closet. And it's not our house so we shouldn't just look around. Now K is laughing too hard to try and fight me. She runs back into the room we were sitting in and uses the counter near the wall to steady herself while she laughs her drunk laugh (which, yes, is very different than her sober laugh) I try to help her breath normal and stop laughing so hard so we can make it downstairs.
This process repeats a couple of times. I was literally trapped upstairs with her for like 15 minutes.
She finally promises we can go downstairs and she won't open the door but she will ask S where the door goes as soon as she gets downstairs because she has to pee but maybe she should pee and then ask or ask on her way to pee or pee and then come look on her own. Long sentence? That's how she made the plan. We both make it down the stairs without falling (thank god) and she beelines it to the house to complete the pee part of her plan.
I find C outside and she asks where we've been. I tell her drunk K trapped me in a fit of laughter upstairs. I suppose you would expect me to either be irritated at dealing with a stubborn drunkard or tell me I should have just left her by herself. The truth is while I had a couple of moments or real worry mostly I was laughing just as much as K was. Even when I tried not to her laughing was definitely contagious. I was having as much fun laughing at her craziness as she was.
Now that the bladder has been relieved K is ready for picture taking. She takes the camera and runs off taking pictures or everyone. She beckons me outside to play photographer. We take group pictures, the annual W surround by cleavage pic, pictures of me doing ballerina things and C doing devil fairy things and K climbing the roof (tough to explain to trust me, not nearly as dangerous as it sounds).
K decides it's time to take an adventure walk and it takes 3 of us to convince her it's a bad idea especially considering she's wearing tallish shoes and the road is unpaved. We follow after her trying to get her to stop and she walks in a circle ignoring us. When she's facing the house again she says "See guys, it wasn't that bad". We only walked for like 10 feet. I'm not complaining.
We go inside to warm up and I get kidnapped by K. She steals me away into the bathroom for an impromptu photo shoot. Whoops. forgot the camera. Pretty sure everyone out there thinks something else is going on when K pokes her head out the door and asks someone to hand her the camera. We climb around and take pictures of us hiding and being weird. Lots of weirdness.
After I'm released I grab a soda and K decides to sit down for a minute. Looks like she might have the spins...
She sits on the couch and I chat with people in the kitchen. Someone looks at K sideways and asks if she's going to be ok. I tell them she's fine and just needs to sit for a minute. Then, almost as if to defy me, K gets up and goes outside for fresh air. I go outside to check on her and she is just sitting on a bench soaking up the fresh air. She says shes ok but just needs a minute. I'm freezing so I tell her I'll come back and check on her soon if she doesn't come in. I don't even have to wait that long before A comes in to get me. She says K doesn't look so good so I go out and ask her if she's ready to go home and she says she is. We gather our things (C borrows the best pair of bedazzled devil horns I've seen from A for the weekend and I grab my purse and leg ribbons which have refused to stay on all night) and pile into the car. I make a 49 point turn to get out of the packed unpaved driveway.
K falls asleep quick laying in the back seat while I drive through the curvy roads. As we get closer to town C suggests we stop by the bar for a minute before we get home. Since the bar is on the way home and I don't really want to drive all the way home and then all the way back to the bar like we planned I figure we might as well.
We pull up to the bar just as KJ pappy is taking a smoke break. K says she wants to wait in the car so I leave it running for her and leave the radio on. I contemplate grabbing my purse but we're just going to run up and say hi and K is in the car anyway so I leave it but I take my phone and tell K to text me if she needs me to take her home pronto style. KJ is happy to see us but not happy that we're not staying. It's busier than usual but we might be the only ones there in costume. Good thing I'm not going inside. C runs in to take advantage of the bathroom and I chat with a woman outside while keeping an eye on my running car with sick/drunk K inside. C comes running back outside and we're ready to go. We get in the car and head home.
When we get to the house I realize my purse isn't in the car. I could have sworn it was right here....I look. K looks. We go inside and C looks in the car one more time. K heads straight for PJ's and C and I head back to the bar to see if maybe, possibly, by the grace of some divine being, my purse is in the parking lot there.
Of course it's not. Someone had stolen it. I don't know when, or how because I was outside the whole time, K was in the car and though she was sick and had been wasted, it took us at least 20 minutes to get from the party to the bar (and that's at least. I'm pretty sure it was longer) and she was awake when we got there. She heard us get out and back in the car so she would have heard someone else get into the car...right? I never even went inside the bar. I just don't get it.
Drunk A texts me and tells me I didn't leave my purse at the party. They looked. Thanks for looking guys, but I knew that and I thought I made it clear to her that I didn't leave it there but it's better to check right? My friends are so good to me.
What did I lose? My ribbons for my costume. My awesome frog card holder my mom got me with my ID, debit card, and a few other cards...one of which can't be replaced. Damn it. My last lip gloss (where do all my lip glosses go?), $50 in cash and most devastating at all....my camera. With months worth of pictures on it. That is really the only thing I'm upset about. I'm confused about how it happened and super bummed about losing all those awesome pictures. Things happen though, and it certainly could have been worse. It sucks but I'll live.
I called the bank as soon as I was sure my stuff was gone. Thankfully they have 24 hour customer support. They ask for my account number and I say that my purse was stolen and I just want to cancel my card. They ask for my full name, my address, my social security number, the last deposit I made but because I can't remember the last withdrawal (because I honestly almost never get cash I have no idea the last time I got money out because it was probably weeks ago and I can barely remember what happened yesterday. I just have no concept of time...) they can't confirm that I am really me and won't cancel my card and send me a new one. They will freeze the card so it can't be used but I have to go in to the bank in person to cancel my card. Oh cuz that will totally work with my lack of ID and my lack of cash to get an ID and lack of time to spend at the DMV getting a new ID. Why is this society set up to make things impossible? You need thing a to get thing b but you need thing b in order to get thing a. So dumb.
Since we were already back at the bar we stayed until closing. KJ had a few too many beers and needed a ride home. As we got into my car I notice people getting into the car parked next to mine. A couple people pile in the back seat...and then another squeezes in. The driver gets in. Then the passenger and then someone crawls on top of the passengers lap. They're in a 2 door little teeny tiny compact hatch back car and they are totally packed like sardines. There is no way I can not laugh. At least I can get a good laugh in after I lost my purse. Thanks sardine car.
KJ decided he wasn't ready to go home so we took a couple trips over our favorite bump and tried to catch some air. We had a couple good runs, but we've had better. It's hard to hit the light right in the middle of the night because it's one of those that doesn't change until the sensor is tripped and when you're the only car on the road it's hard to trip it and get enough speed to hit the bump good. Oh well, it was still fun.
KJ wanted to keep driving around but I was low on gas, and with my money being stolen I couldn't fill up so we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.