Monday, December 13, 2010

Not a set up, more of a....well yea, a set up

K and K2 invited me over to hang out on Friday. They were trying to hook me up with K2's friend R. I was told this was definitely not a blind date. Not a set up. Nope. No way.
It was totally a set up. This was basically a chaperoned blind date. Only my chaperone got drunk. Good news: 4 loko's are back.
At first I was told to be to their house around 7 but then it turned out R was planning on showing up around 6. Too bad for him, I had already made plans for between work and my not date. He would just have to wait. And since it's not a set up anyway, then it's not biggie. So there. Er something.
I finally made it to their house around 7 (I was on time. I don't care what anyone says...not that anyone said anything about that at all) and as it turns out, R wasn't able to make it when he thought he would and I ended up beating him there. I win. Oh, you say it's not a game? Damn.
I killed time by entertaining the cat, Blues. I would say he entertained me but...well I suppose it went both ways. I stole his cat toy on a stick and made him do flips and chase it around the apartment. It was good times. Blues got a good workout in, and I kept busy while keeping my nerves in check at the same time.
Ok, it's not a "date" per say, but it was definitely a set up and that tends to make my nerves act a lil wacky. So thanks Blues. You're a good friend.
R finally made it and drinking began (you know, there's not a lot for a non drinker to do when there is drinking going on. K2 did buy a bottle of smartwater special just for me though. He's so thoughtful). We all played with the cat and watched him play and hide and seek in the Christmas tree.
K decided that since they revamped the 4loko recipe and took out some of the caffeine, we would need to make a trip to 7eleven for her to get a second can. The boys decided it was nacho time so while they went to work on the masterpiece, K and I took a quick trip. In which K tried to get the scoop. Of course, there was no scoop for her to get (except for my admittance that he is indeed very nice to look at) since we were all of course hanging out in the same room so she could see everything that was going on. The loko was kicking in I think...
Back at the apartment we all chowed down on K2's famous 7 lb nacho (not actually 7 lbs) and made a lot of small talk about R's kick ass Grinch hat and with a second 4 loko hitting her system, K declared it was adventure time. So we bundled up (after a lot of convincing from K. She is very persistent, that one.) and went for a walk. I kept hearing things like "only a 3 mile loop" and "in the tunnel" and "under the bridge" and I started to panic about where we were going. I didn't wear hiking shoes! I wore what I wore to work. Those flats were most definitely not made for walking. Ah well. I knew whatever happened, we were going to have fun, so what if my boots got a little muddy.
The rain held off for the night and K was definitely on the loko-er end of the spectrum when she announced she had to pee and starting running off into the distance. I followed after her. All the way down that hill. I giggled the whole way because I'm a weirdo. K disappeared behind some bushes and I was put on guard duty. Which I am terrible at. Instead of holding anyone off I just kept telling her to hurry up because they were getting closer. When she finished (my friends and I are all about classy ladylikeness) we ran to the bottom of the hill and she did the scoop getting thing again and I told her, again, that there was no scoop. She told me she suggested our adventura (you have to read that word in a loud excited voice because that's how it works) in order to give R and I some time to talk on our own. So subtle you are, my friend.
When the boys caught up to us we headed to the waterfront where they talked about BMX stuff and K almost literally shoved me towards R. We walked away from the water to the most giant staircase ever (no, not really). R told me there was 400 stairs, but he made that up. K and K2 were walking at mach speed, giving R and I time to walk alone. We walked about a block behind them the rest of the way home and talked about random stuff like how I live in the hood and how fast our friends can walk when they think they're being slick.
We came to a fish ladder and everyone was peeking over the railing down at the rushing water, so I went up to the railing next to me and took a peek. Only a peek though because almost as soon as I touched my hand to the rail K was whisper-scolding me to stand closer to R. Chaperone mode: On.
We came to the bus stop a block away from the apartment and stopped for no real reason. The bus stop looks like a wacky covered wagon and R thought about climbing on top of it but decided not to because he was scared he might break through it. Then he offered me a ride in an abandoned shopping cart, which I declined because it was soaked with rain from earlier. We walked back to the apartment where we found K and K2 still outside. We all headed back up to the apartment and it was very apparent that the loko had left. K nodded off on the couch when we made it back inside so K2 said goodnight to R and I before we took off for the night. K made sure to be awake enough to command-whisper at me to be sure to text her when I got home to let her know what happened after I left.
We walked silently out to the parking lot and when we got to my car her suggested we exchange numbers. I got out my phone and called his and just like that the night was over. I got in my car and sent K a text.
"Happy now? we got each others numbers."
I didn't expect a reply until the next day, but almost instantly there it was.
"I know. We watched :)"
Like weirdo parents. Thanks guys.

1 comment:

  1. I do say! That was a fun night indeed!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.