Monday, December 13, 2010

So this is how grown ups do it....

I spent all of Saturday morning in bed. Not because I was tired, or sick. Just because I could. I didn't have anything to do except some very specific shopping and a cocktail party later on at night. I love when I can sleep in and lounge around the house like a bum for hours. It's the best feeling in the world. For me at least.
Once I finally got my butt in gear I headed out to look for some cookie tins for my cookie baking extravaganza which was to be happening the next day. I drove around for about half an hour with no destination in mind. I think just because it was almost 5 and it was the first time I had been out of the house all day so I was just driving for the sake of driving. I ended up at a goodwill and was hoping I could find some fun unique tins or something for Christmas-ness. I didn't find any tins...but I did score some kick ass wine carafes and a nice glass pitcher. Did I really just shop for myself? Damn it...
I made a quick trip to the Dollar Tree where I found plenty of fun holiday cookie tins and a couple of random decorations to take home with me. I made a big mess because the Dollar Tree thinks it's necessary to have a giant crooked metal pole sticking out of their carts and the stupid thing hit a shelf on my way down an aisle. A nice woman helped me pick up the mess though. Aw! There really are nice people left in the world!
I don't really have a lot of decorations (well any actually..the ones I've used in the past I just stole from my mom) so I figured I could splurge a little....at the dollar store...
I was lured down the glow stick aisle and started dumping handfuls of glow sticks in the cart. I had to dig to find pink ones, because those are always the most popular. By the time I found 3 packs of pink necklaces I decided to be done. I turned around with my arms packed full of glow sticks and found a little girl with a doll in her hand staring at me. As I dumped my pile into my cart, on top of the glow sword and bracelet packs, she gave me the side eye. Behind her I spotted a display of crazy color glow bracelets, which I have never seen so I knew I had to buy at least one. But this girl was in my way. Just side eyeing me. Move it kid.
I reached past her head and grabbed the bracelets to throw in my cart. Then I left to see if they had anything else I thought I needed to buy. I tired to make my way to a check stand but there was someone in my way at every turn. It was starting to get annoying. I mean, who stands in the middle of the only walk way in front of the check stands when you're not even going to the check stand? Can you not see me and my cart full of glowy goodness with the giant pole sticking out of it? Do you not hear your boyfriend telling you that you're in the way? And when you finally do figure out what's going on, why do you then look at me like I'm the one in your way? People...
As I piled my glow sticks and tins onto the conveyor belt I could feel the eyes of everyone in line behind me on my hoard. I might have thought I was only imagining the feeling...but when my cart was empty I took a peek and they were definitely all looking at my pile with suspicion. Psha. They're just jealous.
I drove back home and got ready for my one and only holiday cocktail party for this year. My friends A and R were throwing the party and I haven't seen them since high school days so I was pretty excited. Plus, the opportunity to get all glammed up is always something I like. I threw on my favorite LBD, some festive tights and my newest shoes (with some flats to take with me of course) and headed out.
I was actually pretty nervous when I first got there, just because I wouldn't know the majority of people there and that always makes me insane in the brain but when I got inside and R greeted me with a huge smile and welcoming hug, all my jitters went out the door. After a quick hello and hug from A, R led me into the kitchen where she showed me their only non alcoholic juice (which was freaking delicious!) and told me to help myself to the snacks. There was a bunch of home made goodies and everyone at the party was super friendly.  Not just friendly, but dressed to impress! Everyone was in their cocktail best. There were pretty LBD's all over the place, men in suits and ties and silk and sparkles and glitter were everywhere! Ok, so that might be a slight exaggeration but really, it was nice to be at a party where everyone was dressed up, looking fabulous.
R and I took some time to catch up. We talked about everything we had been through in the years since high school and gossiped about our mutual friends from back in the day. Of course, eventually a yearbook came out and the real reminiscing happened. Which is how I found out I'm not in one of the yearbooks. Those bastards.
"She's pregnant, she had a baby, he's having a baby, they're married now" and so on and so on.
It was really nice to talk to her because she has a good head on her shoulders, and common sense which as we all know is no longer very common. It's nice to know that there are other smart people in the world and it's even nicer to know that I can call those people friends.
Once everyone settled into the living room we moved the chairs around and formed a weird circle. We decided it was like we were in AA. We talked about music and movies, passed around a movie of controversial content, then had a serious conversation about the man inside Barney. I may have accidentally called someone a douchebag, but not really.
R's dad comes to the party. We welcome him AA style. R introduces me to him as the person that introduced her to A and M (her now husband and best friend). I had absolutely no idea I introduced them. I hate to get cocky here...but I introduced her to her husband. I helped her on her journey to happiness. I gotta say...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. R's dad requests a high five for a job well done. I oblige. 
At one point, R and A's friend C decides to play a game.
"Ooh, this is fun. I'll guess the first time you got drunk!"
Ha. Alright. Yea fun game. Go.
"14?"
I'm not sure how to take that. Does that mean I look like someone that's been partying for years and years? Or does it mean I look like someone susceptible to peer pressure? Maybe I look like someone who has fun? Perhaps it was just a drunk guys guess. No meaning at all behind it. That's probably the most likely.
I told him I had never been drunk and as usual, the questions came. Astonished faces all around. That's always fun for me. I explained, as I always do. Not one sip, not never, not ever. I almost accidentally took a sip of my uncles beer on accident, but he took it out of my hand before that could happen.
Questions from the other side of the room now. Let's all join in! Nope, I don't plan on ever drinking. I made it this far, so I might as well keep going. Girl with unpierced ears know what I'm talkin about! High five to her.I get some respect and then a new question.
"What do you do to cope?"
Laughter all around. It was easy to be open with these people. They were all accepting, cool, real people. No judgment from them. Just curiosity.
Before I knew it, it was midnight thirty and I had to go. I was supposed to get up early in the morning for cookie baking and that wasn't going to happen if I stayed any later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.