Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Monday organization

After a year and a half, my ex finally got the last of his big furniture out of my house. Let me take a minute here to say I don't want to hear what anyone has to say how long it took him, or why I didn't get rid of it on my own. I did what was right for me personally and I don't need to hear how you would do it or what you think I should have done.
What he took was 2 big dresser/armoire thinga majuggers. They were in my room against the wall next to my bed. Now, I already have a huge bed frame, so these 2 giant pieces of furniture were really just cramping up the space. He got them from a family member and his original plan was to refinish them. He started...on a drawer. They got left out in the rain before we moved into my current house so they got all warped. Only a couple of the drawers (of which there were at least 6 big ones) would actually open and they were so dirty and cobwebby that I never wanted to put anything inside them. I used to top of one as my jewelry station and the top of the other to accumulate crap on.
He came and cleared the stuff out while I was at work so when I got home I was welcomed to a brand new room. It felt so much brighter, open, homey with all that space. Now I just had to figure out what to do with all the crap that now had no home.
Adventure to the store for organizing supplies! C and I wander around and look at basically everything organizing related. I got some desk trays to hold my necklaces and earrings, a little desk organizer to help keep the desk clean and spent some time contemplating buying almost everything I came across. Good thing C was there to keep me grounded.
We wander some more and find toys. Look at nerf stuff. Find hula hoops. This one lights up. You know I had to try it. Right there in the aisle. It was way lighter than the one I'm used to. Needed a totally different strategy. Wander some more. I see the Clorox disinfectant wipes...in a pack of 2 for a damn good price and I ask my personal maid/cook/cleaning lady housewife if she would use them. Her eyes got big. Not out of shock for me assuming she likes all things cleaning...but because she really does and she really wanted them so I threw them in the cart and she got excited. Before we leave the aisle I see a duster which we need and I throw it in too thinking of the cobwebs I keep noticing in the kitchen near the ceiling that I can't possibly reach without the help of this duster (yea...I coulda used the broom...but I want a duster so I got it. Hush it).
People watching in the store is fun. I'm constantly astounded at how some people leave the house.
One morning, on my way to work, I saw a bum begging for change on the side of the road...I've seen him almost every day for a few weeks by this point, but on this particular day I didn't recognize him...because he was wearing a Scooby Doo costume. He even put a Scooby Doo decal on his cart. No joke. The next day he was back out there totally normal, like he had never been Scooby.
That was random...
After leaving the first store and hitting Safeway on the way home for cream cheese and ice cream (no, not to eat together) we make it home and I am just excited to get started on organizing. I pull the Clorox wipes and C literally jumps up and down with excitement. I've never seen such a giant smile. I'm buying her cleaning supplies more often.
We turned on the tv and watched Hoarders while I tried to organize everything right then...but I have too much junk so I had to give up and go to bed. That show is nuts! It will always make me want to clean. I always feel like a slob when I'm watching that show.

1 comment:

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.