Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor day weekend

My moms birthday was Saturday and we planned on going to the state fair. We had to meet my mom at 11 that morning. Friday night, however, big J and friends were going camping. There were going to some 4 wheeling thing Saturday and camping out the night before. C and I love camping...and we let big J talk us into camping for the night. We only required a tent to sleep in and he had that. We packed quick and headed out to meet at big J's. First I stopped for gas and C was going to get some cigarettes. That's when we found out she didn't have her ID or debit card. Awesome! Drove back to the house and did a frantic search...with no luck. She made some calls and found out she had left it at her friends house when she went to a wedding the day before. Too late now, we had to meet big J. So frantically we drove over there...Where we waited for him to finish packing.
And then we drove to R's house, who I had never met before. And we waited some more. We were just parked down an alley, waiting. I drove my own car for a change since we had to leave early the next morning. So me and C were listening to music in my car and we're sandwiched between big J and not so big J. We laughed a lot, like we do...about basically nothing and then about me because I laughed and it's possible there was a snort...which made us laugh harder.
Finally, an hour after we were supposed to meet big J we were on the road...guess we had time to go get C's ID and debit card after all...To the camp site! We all turn around...in an alley. Not the easiest of feats, but we all made it and then we drove. And drove. And drove some more. It was late in the day so we wanted to get to the site before dark so it would be easier to set up the tent.
Gravel roads, more driving, dust....we notice that my car is the smallest car around. Should we be worried? Hell no! My car is a gangsta. It can handle these roads just fine thank you. Drive some more. And some more. Have to keep up with the big cars. Suddenly C and I realize my car is like a wart. It's not going to ruin your life but it's kind of annoying to have around. most of the time though it's invisible. They forget we're back here. other cars don't see the tiny wart car and don't get over on the narrow road for us. We're a wart. Forgotten about. Invisible. The smallest car in the woods. Poor car...
Find a clear spot and park. All we have is clothes, bedding and a blow up mattress so we have to wait for the tent to get set up. Big J unloads the tent and we all stand around staring at it. I've never seen a tent like this before. These aren't those bendy snap together kind of tent poles. They're like serious metal poles. Big. Not at all like the tent poles I'm used to. I have no idea how to set this up. Thankfully big J seems to be able to figure it out. He lays out the tent and puts some poles together and then C and I are official tent pole holders. Then we need not so big Js help too. And then it's being staked down. When we finally get done and take a step back...it looks like something from the set of MASH. Seriously. Same army green color...Same old school tent shape. And gigantic. At least we know there is plenty of room. Big J inflates our air mattress and we set up the bed while R makes a fire and H sets up some camping chairs for everyone.
I so totally love camping. We're all around the fire and not so big J and H start making dinner for everyone. Chili dogs ya'll! They're so nice to feed all of us. R makes some chicken for himself over the fire and by the time we're eating it's too dark for us to see out plates. You ever tried to eat a chili dog in the dark? I kept cutting too big of hot dog pieces and eating only bread. And dropping food off of my fork...It was really graceful.
It's possible we noticed the "no fires" sign on the tree behind us...but maybe we didn't and we had a fire anyway. We had to cook! And we needed light!
R is still cooking his chicken and we're moving on to smores...only H heard about using Reese's instead of a chocolate bar. AMAZING! Messy...but oh so good!
Eventually C and I have to pee, because that's what happens when you drink fluids. It's dark, we have tp, and a shovel and we head off into the woods. Only, we don't want to go too far because it's dark, and the woods, so that's scary. We're not too far from the camp site when we start to pop a ladylike squat (we do this too much...) when big J decides to shine his light on us to see what we're doing. Nice. Now we're as exposed as possible to everyone. He finally leaves us alone and we pee and for some reason we have technical difficulties and C tries not to pee on me and I try not to pee on me too. Why did I stand on a slight hill? Bladders emptied. Now we bury the tp. First, dig a whole (yes, I realize we could have dug the hole first and peed in it and just covered it up but we weren't thinking clearly because we had to pee real bad. So C tries to dig a hole but has some issues. Using a shovel with flip flops is not the easiest...She finds roots....of course, we did crouch behind a tree... I try...more roots. I turn around and try a new spot. I manage to dig a hole...shallow...but still a hole. We bury the tp and finally take real breaths because we've been laughing the entire time.
We hang out at the camp fire and watch R cook his chicken. Maybe have more smores... Find a sign on the sap covered tree between the cars. It says "Camp Joe: Highway to hell". Comforting...Hope Joe doesn't come to claim his land.
Big J says something about a green light. Ummm huh? Turns out he's not crazy. There is some green laser shining through the woods. There's some yelling, confusion and then some watching. The laser eventually stops and we have no idea where it comes from. Random...
Which reminds me...I have glow sticks in the car! Time for glow crowns. And bracelets. 
We tire out and head to tent (can't say bed now can I?). C and I have a mattress and big J is sleeping on the floor. Lots of adjusting, covering, shifting and finally we're settled. That's when I see it. A big ass SPIDER on the CEILING of the tent. Oh. My. GOD! I tuck my head into my blanket making sure my entire body is properly tucked into the blanket while I try to force the words out of my mouth. Spider. Big. Up there. Eek.
Since I can't see anything I can only hear them ask where it is. The C sees it. Then big J sees it. And laughs. Just kill it ok? Nope. Instead they talk about how big it is. And then how fast it is. And then about how its headed RIGHT TOWARDS ME. Of course it is. Spiders know my loathing.... They sense it and attack. I hear some shuffling and some laughing while big J tries to figure out how to kill it. And then he smashes it...and can't tell for sure if he killed it. Are you kidding me? I'm hyperventilating in my blanket protection wall here...I need to know he's dead before I come out. I take a little peek anyway. They're looking through the jackets, and shoes..Stupid Houdini spider...
Relief! Spider found! Dead!!! on the bottom of the shoe used to kill it. What a strange place to look for it...
Somehow we finally manage to fall asleep.
Everyone is up before me. I'm awake, I've just chosen not to get out of the tent yet. They force me. By way of yelling at me. How kind they are. No, but really. Not so big J and H make us breakfast and R makes coffee. Coffee makes C very happy. I sit and contemplate finding a pee spot. Instead I brush my teeth because it's just the best feeling in the world with morning breath.
It's early but C and I have to get going, and the guys have to get ready for amazing fun times with 4 wheeling, so we start to break down the tent and pack stuff away. We decide to leave a little earlier than planned so we can go get C's ID before meeting up with mom. Big J tells us the way to get out...all lefts. Take all lefts. All. Lefts. Got it. Good. Off we drive.
Left.
Left.
Which way? Left.
Turn, drive, turn, drive, drive, drive.
Hey...that Jeep looks familiar....And I know that girl folding that sleeping bag. Damn it! After a moment of totally confusion on all our parts everyone starts laughing. C and I in the car and H and big J at the camp site. I hardly even slow down. I just keep driving. How the hell did that happen?? I took all lefts! I guess too many lefts will eventually take you in a circle...
Stop and ask for directions at the rock quarry from some nice guy with a gun. Find out where we made a mistake. That last left? Supposed to be a slight right. Ugh.
We're finally on the road, and even though we tried to leave early...Well...we're cutting it close time wise. Sorry mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.