Friday, September 17, 2010

Uncomfortable Game Night

T & A (best couple initials ever right?) have game nights fairly regularly. It's always an experience. The people that regularly show up are good people. Funny, true to who they are and not at all like the rest of my friends. When I got there T was playing Rock Band, looking for a specific song. That dude has some serious video game skills.
I remember when I lived with him way back in the day and he had the Dance Dance Revolution dance mat. I have never been more impressed with someones video game skills. He never missed a step. Well even if he did he was still better than anyone that ever tried. His focus is crazy good. He's just as good with Rock Band. At least, in my opinion.
Anyway, I was one of the first people there so A and I passed some time playing connect four before more people showed up. I kicked ass. Then I was challenged and kicked some more ass. Challenged once more...and fell right off my high horse. Fun ride though.
I was told there was ready to eat pizza in the oven...it was like having a Little Caesars right in their oven! Ok, they only had 4 pizzas...but still. When the oven door opens and all you see are pizza boxes, it'll make you laugh.
T decides it's a good time to break out his favorite game, Quelf. Has anyone else ever played this? It's a super weird game and can definitely make for some awkwardness which means it's awesome. Last game night I went to I started the game half way through and I walked in to see one guy wearing a helmet, one had his hand wrapped in tin foil and later had an epic battle between his 2 hands, complete with sound effects.
Basically, you move your pieces through the path on the board and you pick up a card that goes with the color square your piece landed on. These cards will tell you to do something random, funny, weird for either this one turn or until you get a new card to negate it. You can choose to pass but you have to pay a penalty of moving a certain number of spaces so hardly anyone does.
This week I got a card that said every time I made eye contact with someone I had to say "I have you now". Rather than say that every 5 minutes, I just avoided all eye contact because I'm the kind of person that makes eye contact regularly. This was a terrible strategy for me. I was always staring down at the table or up at the ceiling. Before I knew it the house was full of people. There was now an entire band of people playing Rock Band and 5 of us playing Quelf. We were now banned (via the game) from saying words like back, word, card, and food. I never realized how much I said any of those words....Z got a card that made him hold his arm up until his next turn...but we took too long and he had to take the penalty for putting his arm down (moving a space back). J got a card that said he couldn't bend his arms. That was funny.
M came over to watch us play and apparently thought he had done something to make me mad because I wouldn't look up from the game. The eye contact rule I had imposed on myself made me act like a battered dog. Once he found out why I wouldn't look up he decided he would play his own game of "make Kay feel awkward". That lasted entirely too long. And then Z joined in. It's really hard to not look at people when they are all up in your grill.
When the game finally ended I made it a point to look everyone in the eye. But we had played the game so long I developed a complex and found myself avoiding eye contact for the next half hour or so. I constantly had to remind myself I could look at people when I talked to them.
Watched some Rock Band action and then we started watching Super Troopers. I would have stayed for the whole movie but it was already after 11 and I had to leave to get some sleep so I could make it to work the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.