Monday, September 20, 2010

Room transformation day

After getting some shelves hung the night before I am ready to make some changes in my room. I start the day off with a long relaxing shower. I take my time doing my makeup and being girly. I put on some pjs and contemplate all the work to be done around the house. Laundry is a definite. I've already got my jewelry up on one of the shelves. I start adding shoes to the others. I go through some clothes and start a donate pile. Clear off a built in shelf and put more shoes on display. Now I have a pile of empty shoe boxes. What to do with them. The empty garage seems like a good place! I go out to the garage to see what's going on out there. It is dusty. Not dust dust, but wood dust. The ex was a woodowrker. He built things. And destroyed things. And left a big ass mess. There is a pile of wood in one quarter of the garage. All of C's things from Washington...Well, not all...but some boxes, are around in whatever space they can find. An oak desk is in the middle of the garage next to my far too rarely used Vespa. Anyone know how to replace spark plugs on those things?
My plan is to clean up the wood pile, move the oak desk to one side of the garage to eventually put a tv on, sweep up all the dust and pack all of C's stuff into one corner in a semi-organized fashion. Then I can use a different corner to store all my empty shoe boxes. At least for now. I start to sweep and only get the built in shelf swept off before C is out in the garage with me offering help, and a soda. Well shit. This should make the process easier. She sees a dusty wall and writes on it with her finger. It says Dirty. Dusty? Good times. I go in to get her gloves so she can move the wood. When I get back she is sweeping so I put on the gloves and attack the wood pile. I decide to put it all in front of the big garage door so that the ex has no excuse to miss any of it. I grabbed the gloves, not because I was worried about splinters, or getting my hands dirty, but because there are a ton of webs on the wood pile. It's been here for a long time now and has had plenty of time to keep too many spiders warm and out of the weather outside. Now it is time to DIE effers!
Err... I mean...I picked up the wood as much as I could at a time. It is all little pieces. I walk back and forth across the garage with piles of wood and dust. I kill some spiders using the wood I'm holding as a weapon. C is sweeping the floor...and the walls. Everything is coated in dust. Sweeping only knocks it all into the air. Before long all I can smell is wood dust. C gets the majority of the dust cleaned up. There was a lot of it...She goes for a smoke break. I sweep a wall or 2 before scooting the oak desk into place on the wall I want it. I sweep out the corner more before scooting C's boxes into it. I sweep and sweep and C swept and swept and still I'm leaving slipper prints in the dust on the floor. How is it possible to have this much dust?! Sweep sweep sweep. Scoot the scooter. Now it's starting to look like a room. And now it doesn't look like C has that much stuff.
With the garage all clean, and me all sweaty and dusty (I'm pretty sure that's a dust hand print on my hip...) I'm ready to start moving those empty boxes out here. Hmm...there seems to be a slight tickle in my throat. Cough cough. Move some boxes. Cough cough. Move more boxes. Cough cough.
Now is the really fun part. I get to go through all my shoes and organize them! How I love my shoes! I go through stacks and stacks. I put them in my room under the new shelves. Each stack has a pair of shoes on display on top. I find some pairs I decide to sell...and take them to the garage too so they're out of the way.
Cough cough.
Before I know it my room looks like shoevana. It's so beautiful. I set up my peaceful fountain, with a leopard pair of shoes next to it. I save a pair of shoes from my to sell pile...and put them on one of the 4 giant bed posts. My boots all line up neatly along the shoe wall. I use one giant margarita glass to hold my scarves and ribbons and such and the other to hold my loose change. 
It actually looks like a girly room. This is the first time in my entire adult life that I have had a space that feels like me. That feels like home. That I love to look at and be in and show off. I can't even tell you how good it feels to have my stuff out how I want it and to not have the ex's crap in my way. It's my house and it finally feels like it. I'm so totally in love with my new room. I took pictures of it on my phone like a crazy cat lady or something before I went to bed.
Cough cough.
C has a tickle in her throat too. That dust is serious business I tell ya.
I still have changes to make and things to move and stuff to add but I love the way it's looking now. And now there is extra space in the living room since I moved the shoes...
So this morning C asks if she can move one of 2 bookcases to the newly empty corner while I'm at work. I tell her she can if she really wants to. At work, I see her facebook status: Know what happens when you're short and try to take a stack of books off a shelf all at once?........I do! ha! :|
Later on she sends a picture to my phone. She trapped herself in the corner. She's trapped between the bookcase and the desk. She'll have to crawl over her desk to get out. Way to go C.

Cough cough.

I'm pretty sure we need our own tv show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.