Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mud surfing with pumpkins

Sunday L, brother A and I headed out to the pumpkin patch on Sauvie's Island. With our trusty rain boots and hats we were ready for a rainy, muddy day hunting for pumpkins. Even parking seems more fun when you're navigating through mud. We decide to take the hay ride out to the pumpkins and stand in line. That's when it started really raining. L used brother A as a shield from the rain and wind. We spy a large puddle not too far away and go to inspect it while brother A holds our spot in line. L checks the depth and I jump. Which splashes her. Whoops.
We finally make it to the hay ride after waiting in line forever behind the kid wearing shorts...and plop our dry butts onto the rain drenched hay. The road is basically a mud river and is pretty fun to watch pass under us. We hop off and start the search. Of course I think we're all looking for pumpkins and find out I'm the only one actually planning on buying one. We walk around and check out what the options are. Brother A does a little accidental mud surfing and then purposely. He almost falls over but catches himself...but when his foot lands on the ground it splashes mud right onto L's face. She makes him clean it off.
Walk around. Pick up pumpkins. Put them back down. Brother A keeps bringing me choices. I'm too picky. That one's not round enough, that one has a scar on his face, that one has a weird thing hanging from it's booty. Where is my perfect pumpkin? Brother A finds a red pumpkin. Cool! Oh, no, wait...it's just an apple. Yes. We are silly.
My feet are coated in muddy muck. My feet look like they should be attached to the creature from the black lagoon.
There he is! The perfect pumpkin. Round, small but not tiny. Light enough for me to carry, no weird scars or dents, good handle. Aw I love my lil punkin!
We start to walk back to the main area and brother A starts jumping in some small puddles. That's all it takes to make me start jumping too. I forgot how fun puddle jumping is! And with rain boots?! So much better!
Jump jump jump jump splash splash splash. Aw crap. I got my jeans muddy. Oh well! Jump jump jump splash splash splash. We walk back to the farm instead of waiting for the hay ride to make it's way back over. We jump in puddles the whole way. My legs are totally muddy. Ew.
I buy my pumpkin (only one freakin dollar!!) and we check out the market. Look at some giant zucchinis and cute teeny pumpkins. No need to buy anything. Head outside and I can't resist at all. I gotta get some corn on the cob. Freakin delish! We all get a cob, slather it in butter and head over to some bales of hay to sit and eat. I love corn on the cob and this stuff was damn tasty. L bought an elephant ear for us to all share and then we finally decided it was time to leave.
It has never felt so good to put on clean dry clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.