Monday, October 11, 2010

Shopping and scaring

I woke up Saturday rested and feeling great. I grabbed my phone and saw a missed call and 4 texts. I look at the time. 12:30?? Crap! I was supposed to meet L and R half an hour ago! Oh my...I suck. 2 of the texts are from them. I text them both frantically to say I'm on my way. Brush my teeth, contain my wild bangs, put on the first thing my hands touch in the closet and I'm running out the door. Wait...why is C still asleep? In the middle of the day.... She usually gets up at the butt crack of always too early. Oh well. I'm mega late. Gotta go! (Btw she was napping and had in fact been up since the butt crack of no way in hell will I be up at that time on a weekend)
We meet at a self serve yogurt place that just opened by my house. It's 2 stop lights away from my house and I'm almost a whole hour late. Ugh. (btw anyone that hasn't tried a self serve yogurt place...go now! Soooooo good!)
L and R are already eating some deliciousness when I get there (they should be already done with how late I am) so I grab a cup and start serving. Instead of my usual chocolate with chocolate everything I get some swirl ice cream and pile strawberries on top. L sees this when I sit down and asks if I'm still sick. Yes, I do love chocolate and yes I will eat it for breakfast but is it really so shocking that I would choose strawberries over chocolate syrup for my ice cream? Oh, it is? I can see that actually. Yea. Moving on.
While finishing our yummy breakfast we see a giraffe walking outside. Wait...what? It's Geoffrey the giraffe from Toys R Us. Why is he here? The closest Toys R Us is waaaaaaay not close. We decide to investigate. We walk through the rain to find Geoffrey and his helper girl. They way he is walking makes him look so sad. I really want a giant costume like that. I'm pretty sure they're awesometastic.

Awesometastic right?
His helper girl gave us some sopping wet from the rain flyers and points us in the direction of the brand new Toys R Us. Yes, we must go check it out. I bet they have nerf guns and  hula hoops! We waste no time and head straight there. The place is clearly brand new. There are still boxes around and workers are unpacking and setting up and arranging. We take our time looking around. I almost cause a teddy bear avalanche. L thinks she breaks a toy and walks away. R fixes it. It wasn't actually broken. She just changed it's language to french somehow. We leave and L talks us into going to JoAnn Fabrics. They have Halloween stuff L justifies to us. We are assaulted with the strong odor of way too many candles as soon as we get in the door. We look at everything and leave with nothing. R tries to go out the in door and it won't open. Suppose L and I could have opened it for him instead of just standing and laughing. Since we're over here we decide to check out the Ross next door. When did all of these awesome stores move in? R indulges us and walks with us while we look at shoes. We start to walk back to our cars and L talks us into going to the haunted corn maze that night. I haven't been to a haunted anything since the barbed wire man incident and I am very reluctant to do this. R is scared too. We agree to hold each others hands the whole way through since L will probably just laugh at us. She is way too happy about talking us into this.
Since we're going, we'll need boots because if I remember correctly that maze gets pretty muddy and it's been raining all morning. We make a plan. Drop R off. L and I will shop for boots and pick him up later for the maze. Ready. Set. Shop!
The boot finding adventure takes hours. Not just because we're girls but because rain boots are expensive and we are determined to find a deal. We try Target first. We figure they'll be cheap there. $25 for the cheapest and they don't have a very good selection. Next we go to Famous Footwear. They have hardly any rain boots and the ones they do have are like $60. Moving on. We try Payless. They have 2 pairs and the price breaks down to the cheapest so far if we do it BOGO style and split the payment. But they only have the 2 pairs. We decide to keep looking. Head to Ross. Score! Cute plaid pairs and plain black ones in our sizes. Options and they're only $16! Hell yes! Oh wait...They fit weird. Like really weird. There is tons of room down at the ankle and they are so tight on both our calves that we couldn't tuck tights in there, let alone the jeans I was hoping to wear to the maze. Keep looking. We head to Fred Meyer because L remembers them having a sale on the boots we're looking for. Score! Boots! So many choices! And is that a sale sign? Kick ass. I pick polka dots. She chooses bees. We decide to look around at other stuff since I need to pick up a couple other things anyway. We find socks. Amazing socks! We discuss. We need tall socks to wear with our boots. And these are awesome and go with our boots...kind of. Then we make fun of ourselves. Are we really planning cuteness to go get dirty? Ha, yes we are. Silly girls. Oh...that lady is laughing at us. Nope, laughing with us. She understands us. We finally make a sock selection. Then we realize we're not even picking pairs. It's a pack of 4 intentionally mismatched socks. For $10. No. We can't justify that. Put them back. Goodbye socks! Our boots cost $25 by the way. The same we would have paid if we bought them at our first stop. However, we had way more options to choose from so justified.
Go home and put our new boots on. We're both in love with our boots. And actually I'm kind of jealous of L's bee pair. They are super cute... C puts on some skate shoes and we head out to get R.
Walking to the line turns out to be more difficult that we thought. Well, not for me and L. Our new boots are amazing for walking in the mud. We don't even have to avoid the puddles! In fact, we intentionally walk through them just because we can. It's so freeing! C and R are having some trouble though. C almost walks out of her shoes a couple of times because they get stuck in the mud. R is just kind of sliding around. It's quite funny to watch actually.
We stand in line for tickets. L bought hers online for cheaper and gets to go in a special line that goes much faster than the one R and I have to wait in. We can see the hauntiness in the distance and start to scare ourselves. We're nervous. But the sign says ages 6 and up. It can't be that scary if 6 year olds can handle it. Look! There are kids every where. We'll be fine. Get tickets and move to the next line. Then we start to get even more freaked out. From where we are now we can hear people screaming. R and I turn into Shaggy and Scooby. He even says "zoinks!" when he hears the chainsaw. Apparently he is not ok with chainsaws. I'm not ok with the creepy little girl voice singing that creepy song behind all that corn over there.
Then R slips out of the fear stage and into acceptance. I'm still scared. I keep flashing back to barbed wire man. We're finally in and walking through the maize (yes, they spell it that way because it's in a corn field. Clever clever). L is gung ho ready to go. R is no longer scared and C is laughing at my scaredness. I make sure I am attached to someone at all times.
The thing I find creepy about things like this is the way the actors will get so close and just follow you around. Like all those scarecrows. And those zombies. R breaks up the tension by making jokes and it helps to keep, at least me, calmer. "Good morrow adventurer!" he shouts at a creepy guy.
We make it to a corner where people in front of me slow down. I only take in the scene for about a second. I see white. I see an actor crouched and then move slightly and I can tell he's furry. Suddenly my mind is making up it's own story. The white corner is now a web and crouched guy is now a giant spider. I use C as a human shield, hiding behind her as push her in front of me and I scream and round the corner. I let go of her and take off running with tears streaming down my face. C, R and L come up behind me and ask if I'm ok. I stutter something about spiders and they say something like "what spider?" and now I feel really moronic. That guy wasn't even a spider. I just used my friend as a shield and am crying for absolutely no reason. Now I'm laughing. This is exactly the reason I shouldn't participate in these kinds of things. I tell R not to worry. They're funny tears. It's all good.
We get to a dark passage way and I find out just how awesome my friends are. All I have to do is ask what's in there. R reports back from the lead position he's taken. "Spider room". Without missing a beat L tells me to grab her waist and close my eyes. C grabs my waist from behind me and together they lead me through my nightmare.
We make it safely through the maize. Then find more trouble trying to walk back to the car. My friends need some boots. Slidey slidey slidey.
Thank God that's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.