Monday, October 11, 2010

Rocky start

I barely made it home from work Thursday. I was fine on 80th. I vividly remember looking at the crack head walking down the street thinking "damn her face is busted!" and before I made it to 81st I was realizing how hot it was and I had to roll down the window. I of course hit the red light at 82nd and had a sudden need to stick my head out the window. That's when I caught sight of my reflection in the side mirror. Bah! Scary! Sweat was everywhere. My cheeks were bright red but the rest of my face looked pale. And then my mouth started to water. Not the good kind of water like when someone puts chocolate in front of my face. The kind that means get your ass to a toilet/garbage can/sack/anywhere but in your car. This is when I had a talk with God.
Oh lord please....Please God....I don't want to throw up in my car...please Jesus....
Then I tasted grossness. Which made me gag. I looked straight up and swallowed air. I took deep breaths. I counted the seconds as I waited for that damn light to change. It didn't work. I gagged twice more before the light changed. Petal to the medal! And another red light. I was terrified I wasn't going to make it home. I rode the next 17 blocks with my head hanging out the window like a dog and wondering why on earth I felt so light headed. I recounted everything I ate that day. A bagel with cream cheese. A piece of pizza with root beer. I'm willing to bet the pizza did this to me...
I make it to the house. Before I get the door closed behind me my sweater is already on the floor. Off comes the left shoe as I take a step to my recliner. I pull off my rings and the other shoe comes off with the next step. My purse falls off my arm just as I collapse into the chair. I put my head between my knees and talk to God again when C comes inside. I tell her I feel sick and she sends me out back for cool fresh air. I sit down and notice that my arms are blotchy. They're all red and sweaty and blotchy. What the heck...C asks if I want some ice water and I think that does sound nice. I hear her get the cup and put some ice in. Before the faucet turns on I'm running to the bathroom. That mouth watering feeling is back and this time I'm not trapped in my car.
Thank God for that! After talking with God some more on the white porcelain phone I put pjs on think about how much I hate being sick. The next 6 hours are basically a preview of hell. Hot, sweaty, gross, painful.
C made bbq boneless ribs, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn on the cob for dinner. We planned that meal and were both so excited for it. Now I couldn't eat any of it. The smell made me slightly queasy. The sight of it made me sad because I knew it tasted so good and I would love it but at this moment my body wouldn't let me even pretend. Food was the enemy right now.
I crawled into bed hoping I would feel better by the morning.
When I woke up I knew I wasn't going to shower. I wanted as much sleep as I could possibly get. I felt ok enough to get up for work but I didn't feel normal. I still didn't feel up to eating so I packed something to have for lunch and headed to work. The drive is when I decided I would ask if I could leave work early. My body started doing that hot when I'm so cold I have goosebumps and sprinkle some blotchy skin on top of it all thing. Traffic didn't bother me because I was only focused on breathing and containing my forearm sweat. I made it to work and went through my morning routine. I figured I would feel better as the day went on. Until I was at my computer and my mouth started watering and my stomach did gymnastics. I ran to the bathroom. Never before has that bathroom seemed so far away. By the time I made it there I was dizzy and I had to fight the urge to collapse to the floor. The fact that it's not a private bathroom is what grossed me out enough to stay on my feet. All the running and thinking somehow distracted my body enough to keep me from throwing up. Thank freakin God. I asked T if he could come in and cover for me so I could go home and be sick there. It would take him a little bit to get there but I could make it. Slow movements and deep breathing got me through the time, though I did make a couple more jogs to the bathroom. Why is it so far away? Somehow I didn't throw up.
T showed up to relieve me and he looked miserable. We were replacing my sick ass with another sick ass. I didn't even really care. I was just so excited to get home where I could lie down and sleep and be close to a bathroom. Leaving in the middle of the day meant no traffic to get in my way and I was home in 20 minutes. 5 minutes later I was in pjs and laying in my bed with a cup of water with a fan blowing cool air on my blotchy sweaty gross face.
Then I'm waking up and it's almost 3. Whoa. I get up and feel slightly dizzy but mostly normal. I decide I should try to eat. I only try mashed potatoes and gravy. Delicious but I can only eat a few bites. I can tell if I eat any more it will definitely end bad. Damn...I wanted that corn on the cob too and I am definitely starving. Oh well. At least I could finally eat something. I veg out on the couch and watch tv for a little bit. Then my friends start texting me. We had a girls night planned for tonight. I feel ok enough to hang out at the house for the night so I don't cancel. I force myself to shower since I'm sure I look disgusting. After getting clean and putting on makeup I feel more like myself then I have in the past 24 hours. Stupid sickness...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.