Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life Organized

One of the big things going on in my life is that for the first time in my life, I truly live alone. When I first moved out of my moms house, I shared a house with one girlfriend and 2 guy friends. From there I moved in with my then boyfriend and a friend of his. From there I moved in with a friend. And then I moved my things to a different friends (couple) house, but stayed with my then boyfriend....in his parents house.
I'm all class. What can I say.
We moved into a house together and then he left me. For about a week, I was alone in my house and then K went through the same thing and because we were going through similar situations and were already good friends, she started staying at my house. She never officially moved in, but it was definitely her place too, and she stayed there every night. She went through some fun life stuff, and moved out. By then, C already had a key to my house and would come to stay for weekends or sometimes weeks, when her and her then boyfriend lived in Washington. After about a week of "living alone" C was back for good and became my permanent couch surfer. 
Yesterday, she came to get her things and I really, truly, have my own place. Everything in that house is mine. Well, so there are a few things of C's that she couldn't take yet, but they're stored in the garage, so I stand by my statement.
When I got home from work, I gave myself a tour of this house filled with my things. I checked out the new storage space I had where C had previously stored her clothes. I saw empty cupboard space where her coffee mugs used to be. The bathroom looked oddly empty without her things, and the pile of blankets and sweaters was gone from the back of the couch. It was almost like having a new house.
For a few minutes, I just stood in the living room and thought to myself "Wow, I'm really an adult. I'm really taking care of myself." Suddenly, I was ready to clean. Now that I had all this empty space, I was beyond ready to de-clutter other areas of my house. I've been slowly working on cleaning my life up, literally by cleaning and in a more broad sense by taking care of myself and learning to love myself as I am, 100%. At this moment though, anything felt possible.
I started with the cupboard where C had kept her clothes. There was now one completely empty shelf. Now, what I could have done, was gotten the blankets from my room that had no real storage spot and were just taking up floor space, and shoved them in that empty spot and called it good. Instead, I decided to pull out what was on the top shelf to see if maybe I could get rid of some of it. And then I opened the top cupboard and started pulling things off the shelves there. Some things needed to go to the bedroom cupboard, and when I opened that I realized, I could do some work in here too. So I started pulling everything off of those shelves. When some of those things ended up needing to go in the bathroom cupboard, I repeated the system. Somehow, I made it into the kitchen and all of those cupboards were open. It was basically a mad house. It looked insane! There were piles of things on the floor, on the counters, and a special pile just for Goodwill and the Food Bank. Every cupboard door was open and I think if anyone else had seen it they may have been scared.
But it didn't scare, or overwhelm me. I did have to take a break in the beginning for my dinner (delicious salmon) but after that I was basically non stop. I was excited to get rid of all the junk I didn't need. I was excited to have some sort of organization going on behind every door. I threw away a whole garbage bag of useless junk that I was holding on to for no real reason, and let me tell you, my house is too tiny for that much junk to accumulate. Don't worry guys, I recycled all the things I could.
Now, I open cupboards just to stare at them. I love that everything has a place. I love that I don't have piles of unknown junk anywhere. I know what I own. I know what I have and where it is. For the most part...I still have some work to do on a junk drawer I didn't realize existed and under the bed sure seems like a mess. I hardly ever even wear socks, so why are there so many lost socks under my bed?
When I was growing up,  I don't ever remember yearning to live on my own so that I could organize my cupboards in the way I wanted to. I don't remember ever dreaming of spending nights cleaning. Yet, I had a blast. I had music on, I was smiling and every step I took got me closer to a cleaner, more functional home and that excited me so much that I kept going. At 10 I had to force myself to stop just before getting to the scary darkness under the bed.
I am super excited to continue and be all done with everything. I love what I've done and I totally want to show it off. So, I won't be mad if you come over to check it out. But text me first or something k? Cuz I am a single chick and you never know what's going on at my house. That sounds terrible...
Oh, and I'm gonna need some people with muscles soon, because I have a heavy TV that needs lifting and a pool table that needs some setting up. Someone help me! I can't pay you in money because I have none, but I will totally cook you a healthy and delicious dinner. If I have the food to do that I mean. I have some cup o noodles I'm going to donate. You want those? Ok, I'll stop.

Guess what? Tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Ask a question. Request a favorite story.